Friday, July 29, 2011

Chocolate Cake.

I saw this recipe on the Simply Recipes website and had to have it.  It would be my first attempt at a three layer cake.  I even had a fancy frosting gadget this time around (thanks, mom)!  Here's what I learned:

  1. I used regular all purpose unbleached flour.  Didn't feel like springing for cake flour.
  2. The old pans I used were a little misshapen.  When it came time to frost the cakes there were pretty big gaps between layers because of the funky pans.  Made it a little tricky to get the frosting on nicely.
  3. My standard cake plate with lid was too short for this big boy.  I ended up covering it with multiple layers of plastic wrap which in turn allowed it to dry out faster.
  4. This cake is no joke.  You need to either be a serious chocoholic or invite many people over to help you take this down.  It's gigantic.
  5. I  *gasp* ended up throwing some away.  It dried out before it could be eaten.


Even our house mascot, T-Rex (or Ree-Rex as Penelope affectionately calls him), had to help...


  Recipe can be found here:  Chocolate Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me