- The recipe calls for 1/2 tablespoon of chili paste with garlic. I usually double that to give it the perfect amount of heat.
- Since we are on the topic of chili paste with garlic...make sure it's paste. I have tried using chili sauce with garlic before and it's very mild in flavor. I have no trouble finding the paste at Target.
- Don't crowd the wok when frying so they all have a chance to get nice and brown. It's tempting to dump them all in and be done with it.
- I serve them with rice and a few dipping sauce options (usually soy and sweet and sour sauces).
Chicken Egg Rolls
20 oz ground poultry (I use 95% lean ground chicken)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 teaspoons sesame oil
4 large eggs, scrambled and cooked
4 cups coleslaw mix
1/2 tablespoon chili paste with garlic
green onions to taste (I usually have about 1/2 cup)
1 package egg roll wrappers
Oil for frying
Brown the ground chicken and drain well. Place in a container with a lid. Mix together the soy sauce and sesame oil and pour over the ground chicken. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
In a wok over medium heat saute the coleslaw mix until limp. Stir in the chili paste with garlic, green onions, scrambled eggs, and marinated ground chicken. Let mixture cool before wrapping.
To wrap: I use egg to moisten all edges of the egg roll wrapper. Make sure one of the corners of the wrapper is facing you. Place one heaping spoonful of filling onto the top corner of the wrapper. Fold the top over the filling and then fold in each side. Roll it up and wala you have an egg roll. If that makes no sense look it up on YouTube. There are plenty of homemade videos that show you how to do it.
To cook: I fill the wok about 1/3 full with oil and heat it on medium high. Drop a tiny bit of water into the oil and if it crackles the oil is ready for frying. They take about 2 minutes per side. After they are browned on all sides I place them on a paper towel lined plate while I finish the rest.



No comments:
Post a Comment